[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] Revisiting Read Activity default font

Manuel Quiñones manuq at laptop.org
Fri Apr 27 06:27:32 EDT 2012

(Resending Dave's email to the list...)

------

Hi!

Please note, this email is my personal opinion only, not the views of
any other persons, groups or companies. I am a consultant to the
Google Web Fonts team, not an authorized representative for Google Inc
or any of my other consulting clients. Thanks for your understanding
:-)

On 26 April 2012 15:35, Manuel Quiñones <manuq at laptop.org> wrote:

> So, the current default is DejaVu LGC Serif.

The benefit of this is that it has quite wide glyph coverage, and its
based on Vera which was done by an experienced designer so its not an
awful font. But its not a great one :-)

> HoboPrimate suggested
> Century Schoolbook L as a better font.  Guillermo said to me that
> Gentium Book would be the ideal.

I don't recommend Century Schoolbook or Gentium Book - while they have
snazzy names that seem to relate to this typographic design problem,
that doesn't mean they are relevant solutions :-)

> But Gonzalo, current Read maintainer, said that he has intentions to
> move to Sans.

I think that can make a lot of sense - sans or serif types can be
equally readable if one is well designed for reading. Sans may
typically be more legible on screens with lower pixel densities, but
for example Merriweather is a libre serif type designed around this
constraint.

> Now I understand that Serif fonts are being used in
> books more because of historical reasons and that we should think
> what would be better for children.

http://kidstype.org is about scientific research into what typefaces
are best for children.

> He also pointed that teachers ask for a hand-writting font,

There are over 100 in www.google.com/webfonts today - the Delius
families are a favorite of mine.

> and that there are special fonts designed
> for dyslexic people.

Personally I am actually rather dubious about the scientific research
behind these, but see no harm in letter people change a default to
them if they wish :-)

Cheers
Dave

--