[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] Add accelerator to speech palette

Gary Martin garycmartin at googlemail.com
Wed Apr 25 09:39:02 EDT 2012

On 25 Apr 2012, at 03:35, Gonzalo Odiard wrote:

>> Yeah too much empty space and too wide.
>>
>> I know is a bad time to change strings, but this can help, change this:
>>
>> Speech
>> * Say selected text Shift+Alt+S
>> * Stop playback
>>
>> To this:
>>
>> Speech
>> Speak selected text
>> * Say Shift+Alt+S
>> * Stop
>>
>> That is, use two rows to the tooltip, like the network and battery tooltip have.

Nice catch Manuel :)

> Probably too late, but I am open to change this if needed.
> Gary, Simon, what you think?

I'd be good with this if we also update the extra status line text based on the speech status so that it provides feedback on its current state (Battery device provides H:MM remaining, Network device provides connecting.../connected status). The text would be "Speak selected text", and "Speaking selected text" (e.g. currently speaking a selection).

See two attached mockup screen shots, it certainly seems to solve the excessive empty space and large width (the English version of the palette seems to be about the same size as it was prior to adding the accelerator text).

Regards,
--Gary