[Sugar-devel] Installing gstreamer media codecs on XO-1 (solved)

David Leeming david at leeming-consulting.com
Thu Apr 5 02:49:15 EDT 2012

All done and it works well. It was a question of trying to do it without
fully understanding the process.

In summary, steps 1 and 2 using gstreamer-plugins-ugly and gstreamer-ffmpeg
were all that were needed. The rpms thus collected were then tested on a
freshly installed XO and all working, further enhanced by addition of the
Adobe Flash 11 rpm.

Thanks for helping! I'm all set now to do this offline in the field.

rpm -ivh
http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/rpmfusion-free-release-stable.noa
rch.rpm
rpm -ivh
http://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfree/fedora/rpmfusion-nonfree-release-stab
le.noarch.rpm
yum install -y yum-utils

navigate to a USB stick

mkdir myrpms
cd myrpms
yumdownloader --resolve gstreamer-plugins-ugly
yumdownloader --resolve gstreamer-ffmpeg

Download Flash 11 rpm from Adobe and add to myrpms
On newly installed XO navigate to myrpms and

rpm -Uhv *.rpm

tested on XO-1 build 883

David Leeming
Solomon Islands Rural Link