[Sugar-devel] MP4 playback on XO-1.75?

Tom Parker tom at carrott.org
Tue Apr 3 05:27:23 EDT 2012

On 02/04/12 10:34, Christoph Derndorfer wrote:

> To make a long story short: Is there a way to watch MP4 videos on an
> XO-1.75 at this point in time? :-)

The Marvel SOC has hardware accelerated decoding and encoding to the
point it can play high definition video. See
http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/11686 for enabling this hardware. The
Raspberry PI and the cubox both have similar hardware. Look to those
projects for hints about where to get the software codecs compiled for
ARM. My feeling is the processor will struggle decoding even moderate
resolution h.264 without the hardware acceleration.

A friend is looking at getting the hardware acceleration stuff working
on the XO, it is apparently complicated because the kernel for which
Marvel released their drivers is quite different to that in 11.3.1. I'll
catch up with him tomorrow and see what progress he has made on the
12.1.0 kernel.