[Sugar-devel] Installing gstreamer media codecs on XO-1

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 22:02:44 EDT 2012

On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 6:51 AM, David Leeming
<david at leeming-consulting.com> wrote:
> I am interested in trying this out, as I am going to be doing some teacher
> training workshops in remote PNG areas where there is no Internet access.

the quickest, surest path is use yumdownloader --resolve to grab all
the rpms, and have them on a USB stick. Steps were discussed on this
same email threads. I can't think of an easier path for a small to
moderate number of units.

You could build an OS image, set it up on the XS for auto-installation
on the XOs, and run olpc-update. But there's a sizable amount of prep
in that, so unless you prepped it all back when you prepped the OS
image they have _now_, you end up still needing to mess with each
laptop.

In the end, you only need to say "sudo rpm -Uvh *rpm" on each unit.

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions