[Sugar-devel] [Analyze]: what is translatable in ''<Buddy %(path)s>. ...''

samy boutayeb s.boutayeb at free.fr
Sat Sep 17 19:57:58 EDT 2011

Hi Chris, Gary, Tony
Le dimanche 18 septembre 2011 à 09:17 +1000, forster at ozonline.com.au a
écrit :
> Hi
>
> The full context for [1] is
> self.ps_watcher.log('Calling <Buddy %s>.GetProperties()', object_path)
>
> in general, everything within the quote marks except %s is translatable but
>
> this appears to be some kind of programming diagnostic message and the universal language of programming is English
>
> GetProperties() would not be translated because that is the procedure name that has been called
>
> Do you call procedures in French? Should Buddy be translated? It depends what a French speaking programmer would find a useful diagnostic message.

Yes, that's the point.

Generally speaking, the Analyse activity is a special one, since it's
more likely to be used by maintainers, and, as such, involves a fair
proportion of technical background, including the familiarity with
programming langages. But, at the moment, even kids are encouraged to
learn programming/scripting languages.

This is why the localization of an a activity like Analyse should be
carried out carefully, taking in account those young hackers in order to
support their learning process.

Again, thanks for your hints and explanations.

Rgds
samy