[Sugar-devel] Regarding my OLPC XS Wishlist

Aleksey Lim alsroot at activitycentral.org
Wed Sep 14 15:06:31 EDT 2011

On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 08:08:44PM +0200, Tony Anderson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Munin looks like it would be useful. Since many of the routers are
> running dd-wrt, I am wondering if this package (or something similar)
> could be used to monitor the load on the routers. The routers are the
> probable bottleneck.

In fact, the plan in Paraguay is having Munin nodes on school servers
(and on APs as well), i.e., they will send statistics to the mothership
(I guess that won't work for Nepal since connectivity is a problem
there, thats why I asked about "offline" solution).

> I suspect one of the unknowns is how much load is
> the result of avahi and ejabberd and other packages polling the network.

Actually, it would be useful to have such stress tests before going to
production (of course it might not precise test but at least it will get
a level of loading). It is in the plan for SSK-1.1[1].

> For example, it might reduce this significantly be having ejabberd
> subdivide the users in groups rather than try to include all XOs in one.
>
> Incidentally, I was told at the Paris meeting that there is an ejabberd
> or ejabberd-like version implemented in Java. This may be worth
> exploring as a replacement for ejabberd.

Incidentally, I followed the quite opposite way in case of replacing
ejabberd for [possibly] smaller resources consumption [2] :)
It just works for 0.88 clients and there are glitches w/ 0.9x clients
(but it is hard to investigate since 0.9x collab code is not mature).

[1] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_Server_Kit/1.1/Todo#Testing
[2] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_Server_Kit/Prosody

--
Aleksey