[Sugar-devel] About Activity Central and Dextrose (was: [ANNOUNCE] New Dextrose-3 development build: Alpha-1 (dx3ng36))

Pablo Flores pflores2 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 15:14:25 EDT 2011

Since in Activity Central (AC) we're announcing our work in a new release of
Dextrose, I found it's a good moment for saying some words about Dextrose
itself, the company and the way we work.

Dextrose is a Sugar downstream begun by Bernie, working together with AC and
Paraguay Educa folks to focus on the most important needs of deployments.
Stability is prioritized over adding new features and there is a focus on
having a close loop between deployments and developers. With time Dextrose
got adapted by other deployments, like Plan Ceibal in Uruguay, who also made
important contributions to the system.

Since the Dextrose2 release, the development has been guided by AC’s team,
mainly led by Anish and Alsroot's work. All its code continues to be free
(all the software produced by AC is GPL'ed), and upstreamed as much as
possible with the great work made by Silbe in collaboration with many
community actors (although there are still some parts which take more time
to upstream but are also included as they're useful for deployments).

With the new release, we're looking to continue AC's goal of catalyzing
Sugar development, working together with partners, deployments, and the
community. AC work is about providing Sugar software development and support
services, and the best way to do it is the open source way.

BTW, in AC we'll soon have a new Web site where we can explain our work in a
better way. All feedback is welcome!

Regards,
Pablo Flores
Activity Central