[Sugar-devel] 11.3.0 release candidate 4 (build 883) released

Gary Martin garycmartin at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 31 14:41:21 EDT 2011

Hi Daniel,

On 29 Oct 2011, at 22:28, Daniel Drake wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We're pleased to announce our 4th release candidate of our new
> 11.3.0 software release.
>
> Information and installation instructions can be found here:
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Release_notes/11.3.0
>
> Quick links for those who know which files need to be grabbed and save
> to USB disks:
> http://download.laptop.org/xo-1/os/candidate/883/
> http://download.laptop.org/xo-1.5/os/candidate/883/
> http://download.laptop.org/xo-1.75/os/candidate/883/
>
> This is a signed release candidate that can be installed on all XOs,
> even those with security enabled.
>
> We're looking for testing and feedback on all aspects of the system.

I've just been testing Telescope-12 on the XO-1.75 running the new 883 build, first the good news, the camera is showing up correctly in Record and Telescope, fab! :) Now the not so hot:

- While in Telescope-12, clicking the digital zoom toolbar button completely locked up the XO-1.75 (re-testing with an XO-1 the digital zoom works ok).

- After some waiting and many attempted keyboard shortcuts, I decided to power down. Clicking the power hardware button did not trigger the usual shut down screen during this particular lockup case; clicking the power button twice (assuming it might just be the gfx that had locked-up) had no effect; finally I held down the power button for some seconds until the power led flashes and then the hard powers off.

- On reboot the Journal now shows 3 corrupt entries (see attached screen shot) with no name and unknown metadata. None of the three entries allow invoking the details view or raise their palette so can not be erased via the Sugar Journal UI. The three corrupt entries will be an entry for Browse where I visited ASLO to download telescope and then quit Browse; the downloaded Telescope-12 bundle; and the instance entry for the Telescope that was running when the XO locked up.

Given the nature of the hard power off I understand why some data would not have been synched to disk, but just wanted to raise this case here. I guess the actionable items might be:

1) fixing Telescope-12's digital zoom not to lock up an XO-1.75 (I don't have an XO-1.5 to test but I re-checked on an XO-1 which still worked fine).

2) Seeing why the XO-1.75 hard crashed, I'm assuming something camera driver related may have borked badly (I do have a serial cable here for un-bricking an XO-1.75 but don't know my way around that side of things very well).

3) Making Datastore more robust to corrupt entries; and/or perhaps just not displaying corrupt entries in the Journal UI (assuming they can be tested for reliably); and/or allowing them be erased via the Journal UI; and/or improving the way Journal displays a corrupt entry (broken document icon, fake title name).

I'll hang onto this datastore as is, for a little while, in case someone wants to explore.

Regards,
--Gary