[Sugar-devel] sugar-toolkit-gtk3 plans

Sascha Silbe sascha-ml-reply-to-2011-4 at silbe.org
Sat Oct 29 06:42:06 EDT 2011

Excerpts from Daniel Drake's message of 2011-10-29 12:12:54 +0200:

> If we get things into good shape, we are planning to commit all this
> to master tomorrow evening. We have already made lots of progress
> including a somewhat functional theme and a major palette-related
> headache solved. Code and plans will be carefully reviewed and
> developed in collaboration by the Sugar superstars we are fortunate to
> have in the room this weekend (as has already been happening). We'll
> be happy to respond to comments that come in this weekend or
> afterwards in further commits. Sascha, would this be OK with you?

This is rather sudden. I'm on the road this weekend and not sure whether
I'll have any time to work on Sugar (like responding in detail to this
mail). What's the hurry in getting it landed on mainline master this
weekend? Wouldn't a separate branch or different repo work for you?

As for the sugar-toolkit plans, I don't care much about the particular
branching model (i.e. whether sugar-toolkit mainline master is the GTK3
version or the GTK2 version). However I consider assuming that most
activity authors will publish GTK3 based activity versions any time soon
(measured in school years) to be wishful thinking. Of those that do
actively maintain their activities, I'd expect most to want their
activities to run on older versions of Sugar and distros shipping Sugar.
Even if we provide _excellent_ support for maintaining GTK2 and GTK3
versions in parallel - which more or less means fully automatic
conversion from the GTK2 version to the GTK3 version - I doubt that a
significant portion of the authors (excluding the handful of authors
that I'd consider part of the core team) would go to these lengths.

Sascha

--
http://sascha.silbe.org/
http://www.infra-silbe.de/