[Sugar-devel] [SoaS] SoaSv6 - Last stages

Frederick Grose fgrose at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 18:27:00 EDT 2011

On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 11:13 AM, Peter Robinson <pbrobinson at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> We're in the final stages of SoaSv6. It would be good for people to
> test and see if I've missed any issues. I believe we're in pretty good
> shape for this release. In fact I think its going to be one of our
> better releases. We've had no major breakages due to upstream this
> cycle and Fedora is locking down for the final run to release so we're
> past the possibility of that (thankfully!).
>
> To create it run the following command. Note you need to correct the
> image name for the downloaded version, and also update the device name
> for your relevant usb key.
>
> sudo livecd-iso-to-disk --format --efi Fedora-SoaS-Image-Name.iso /dev/sdz
>
> I'm interested in feedback on how it works on Intel based Mac's as the
> vast majority of Mac boot issues should be resolved with this release.
> We have a nice increase in the number of Activities shipping which
> should make it more interesting.
>
> I look forward to your feedback.
>
> Peter
>
> i386 http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=3459573
> x96-64 http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=3459574

Considering the risk to flash hardware described here,
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/How_to_Damage_a_FLASH_Storage_Device
(with updated discussions in this thread from March 2011,
http://www.mail-archive.com/devel@lists.laptop.org/msg26369.html
describing newer trends),

Is it reasonable to consider the --format install option only necessary for
Intel Macintosh systems or others requiring EFI boot, and for situations
where the flash device would be shared between such systems and other PCs
supporting factory (FAT-formatted) devices?

        --Fred