[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN TEAM] proposals for the Journal

James Simmons nicestep at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 17:43:24 EDT 2011

Walter,

I like the idea of writing to the Journal at any time.  That should be
useful.  The big problem I have with the expanded entry is that there isn't
anything in the design of the Journal UI to suggest that it is there.  I
have to wonder how many students actually know about it and how many use it.

I've been beating this dead horse for awhile, so one more time can't hurt:
make the part of the Journal UI that deals with thumb drives and SD cards
NOT look like Journal entries.  Make these look like what they are:
hierarchical file systems.

I try to address both issues in the UI of my Sugar Commander Activity, and
Aleksey's Library Activity had some nice features to make the expanded
entries more visible, including a thumbs view.

Sugar Commander was largely inspired by an Activity called Leer Pendrive
created by someone from Plan Ceibal.  All it did was let you select a file
using the GTK file browser and copy it to the clipboard, from where it could
be copied to the Journal.

James Simmons