[Sugar-devel] Tux Paint - Save and new

Aleksey Lim alsroot at activitycentral.org
Sun Oct 23 18:01:21 EDT 2011

On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 05:36:06PM -0300, Gonzalo Odiard wrote:
> What you need in Paint activity not available today?

Well, it depends on a purpose... ;)

If purpose is exactly to paint something, then for sure, Paint is just
works. But imagine for a bit that you are not a developer but a person
[maybe young person] who is just opening this feature. From this
perspective, what we will get after opening two these applications:

* Paint, all-grey screen with standard set of painting primitives
* Tuxpaint, colorful screen when even standard painting primitives
  contain something special, but there are bunch of another places to
  explore and get excited

I guess, the winner is obvious. I don't mean, "do nothing, use what
already exists" but that the difference should be clear between these
two examples. And, if someone is willing to test his strength and create
another painting application (ie, sugar idea is exactly about learning
by doing) because his favorite PL is not C, why not using best the
example (Tuxpaint) and create something better.

--
Aleksey