[Sugar-devel] Adding git to Sugar platform?

Gary Martin garycmartin at googlemail.com
Sat Oct 22 00:25:23 EDT 2011

On 21 Oct 2011, at 10:19, Peter Robinson wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 10:02 AM, Simon Schampijer <simon at schampijer.de> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> the bundlebuilder uses git to package the tarballs and xo-bundles [1]. I
>> would therefore say, the git should be a dependency for the sugar-toolkit
>> and should be added to the Platform components.
>>
>> Any objections about that?
>
> Yes I object! It depends on perl and pulls in around 80Mb of deps,

Just to clarify, as yum install git is about the first thing I do (closely followed by yum install vim and pylint) on a fresh XO install I remembered to take a note of the install size – for the current olpc candidate 882 build, yum reports git install size as 11Mb (on XO-1.75) and 12Mb on an XO-1. It just pulls in 3 packages, git, perl-Error, and perl-Git.

--Gary