[Sugar-devel] Adding git to Sugar platform?

Simon Schampijer simon at schampijer.de
Fri Oct 21 05:32:06 EDT 2011

On 10/21/2011 11:19 AM, Peter Robinson wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 10:02 AM, Simon Schampijer<simon at schampijer.de>  wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> the bundlebuilder uses git to package the tarballs and xo-bundles [1]. I
>> would therefore say, the git should be a dependency for the sugar-toolkit
>> and should be added to the Platform components.
>>
>> Any objections about that?
>
> Yes I object! It depends on perl and pulls in around 80Mb of deps, its
> not required as an end user to run or install an Activity. I could
> cope with splitting bundlebuilder off into a sub package and making
> that depend on git though.
>
> Peter

Looks like everyone is awake :)

Ok, the reason why I brought this up is that git is one of our main
tools for development and if we ever want kids to start developing...

For the error James is describing: The code does fallback to just
including the files present. However it does only cope if the folder is
not a git repository. If git is not installed an OSError is raised which
we should catch actually there anyhow (will send patch for that).

Regards,
    Simon