[Sugar-devel] Sugar Digest 2011-10-11

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 19:38:26 EDT 2011

== Sugar Digest ==

1. As a community member, it is important that your voice be heard.
One mechanism is for you to participate in our upcoming election: We
will be holding an election for three Sugar Labs oversight board
(SLOB) positions at the end of next month. If you are not already a
member 1] of Sugar Labs, please send your name and an explanation of
your contribution to Sugar Labs in an email to members at sugarlabs.org.
If you are a member, please consider being a candidate [2] for one of
the SLOB positions. While we are reasonably well represented in the
developer community, we are, IMHO, under represented by our user
community.

2. Peter Robinson announced the release of Coconut [3], the latest
version of Sugar on a Stick. It is based on Sugar 0.92 [4] and Fedora
15. In addition to the numerous new features described in the Release
Notes, Peter has gone to great lengths to make the build system
sufficiently robust that it is possible to remix SoaS to meet the
needs of individual deployments. Congratulations to everyone who has
contributed to this important vehicle for getting Sugar into the hands
of more children.

3. Ignacio Rodrigez, a young developer from Uruguay was issued a
Magellan computer from Plan Ceibal upon entering middle school. He
pointed out to me that the machine comes with Sugar installed on top
of Ubuntu. Details are still a bit sketchy, but some version of Sugar
is running (and presumably supported by someone). The only activity
shipped with Sugar is a very old version of Turtle Art. This is
somewhat ironic, since Turtle Art can be run directly from GNOME. I
asked Ignacio to please install the latest version of Turtle Blocks,
which he was able to do with apparently no difficulties.

=== Sugar Labs ===

Gary Martin has generated a SOM from the past few weeks of discussion
on the IAEP mailing list.

October 1-7 (46 emails) [5]

Visit our planet [6] for more updates about Sugar and Sugar deployments.

[1] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_Labs/Members/List
[2] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Oversight_Board/2011-2012-candidates#Candidates
[3] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_on_a_Stick/Coconut
[4] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/0.92/Notes