[Sugar-devel] "Howtos" within Sugar Activities (was: Potential volunteer offering technical writing)

samy boutayeb s.boutayeb at free.fr
Tue Oct 11 10:51:20 EDT 2011

Le mardi 11 octobre 2011 à 10:23 -0400,
sugar-devel-request at lists.sugarlabs.org a écrit :
> Also, by including even simple help strings, the burden on the
> translator when from a few hundred single-word strings to many many
> long sentences. Even so, the real explanations are found in the wiki.

More strings equal more work but, at the same time, more useful
contextual information! This is a big plus for the translator as it
helps disambiguïse short commands/menus/strings from the user interface!

Generally speaking, a carefully designed help system (regardless of its
form) is a courtesy for the end users!

> I took a different approach in Turtle Confusion: I added hints in the
> form of short programs in the help. Not sure how to scale that
> approach.

A possible extension could be to merge those "tooltips" and to build a
"glossary" of the functions available in this activity, as a reference
accompanying a more formal user manual (either online or online).