[Sugar-devel] Multilingual Help activity: which localisation tools (was Re: Potential volunteer offering technical writing)

Gonzalo Odiard gonzalo at laptop.org
Wed Oct 5 16:01:53 EDT 2011

Hi Samy,

May be I can't convince you, but is what I have learn from practice.

I only want to point you about two topics:

* Fototoon is a good example: the UI have only 16 phrases and 26 words!
In part because is a simple activity, and in part because all the Sugar
interface is designed
to use as little text as possible.
In contrast a help page about Fototoon can have a lot of text, and the
format, can be easily redone.

* I have participated in the translation of "Make your Own activities" to
Spanish.
Only one chapter, but I saw part of the work involved by the team.
The work involved 15 volunteers, many mails with the original author,
and the final style review of a professional writer,
(and ask permission to the publish house who had the rights of Mark Twain in
Spanish)
If you are creating a manual for kids, probably you will need recreate the
screenshots where there are text too.
This is if you want do a good job and not a google translate automatic
translation.

In my personal opinion, Pootle is not good for doing a job like this.
And is possible do the translation of a UI piece by piece, but a text need a

different conceptual integrity and style.

Gonzalo