[Sugar-devel] Force icon sizes in style.py to be even numbers

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Wed Oct 5 09:59:22 EDT 2011

2011/10/4 Gary Martin <garycmartin at googlemail.com>:
> From a visual point of view, if folks have spent time putting horizontal and vertical vectors in expected integer positions – I'm occasionally known to be that tweaky ;) – then they will start going a little blurry as they shift over fractional pixels. I'm not sure how critical/obvious that would be without giving it a test, but I don't think a loss of 1 unit height/width out of 55 units in itself would be noticed. I'm more worried about other non-visual side effects, e.g. will this have effects on toolbar icon spacing, toolbar heights, frame thickness?

It wouldn't affect spacings(paddings) and thickness, but it might
indeed affect things like overall toolbar height. So I think I'll drop
the idea of rounding all icon sizes to even numbers based on this
feedback.

It's all good though - I think I overlooked something. The majority of
icons in the views in question do not need to be centered. It doesn't
matter if a network icon is one pixel off-centre in a grid that the
user can't even see. The only icons it matters for are the owner icons
which need to be centred on-screen for the correct animation effect
when moving between views. So, I can simply fix and document exactly 3
places in the code and not worry about anything else. No wide-reaching
changes needed anywhere.

Daniel