[Sugar-devel] Open translation tools (was: Potential volunteer offering technical writing)

Christoph Derndorfer christoph.derndorfer at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 09:26:21 EDT 2011

On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 12:19 PM, samy boutayeb <s.boutayeb at free.fr> wrote:

> Following the discussions "Potential volunteer offering technical
> writing" about the choice of an adequate translation tool suitable for a
> a project like a manual, please see:
>
> "Open Translation Tools"
> http://en.flossmanuals.net/open-translation-tools/
>
> Among the tools mentioned in this review, my best candidates would be a
> combination of:
>
> 1/ OmegaT ( http://www.omegat.org/ ), which manages a fair list of
> document formats and can benefit from a translation memory (which helps
> reuse old texts from previous translations), and a glossary, both useful
> fonctions in a collaborative project. The documents are parsed and
> segmented properly, providing a simple list of text strings, which may
> be translated either internally or with an online tool.
>
> and
> 2/ Pottle, as a well known web based online tool compatible with a
> collaborative project management.
>
> 3/ Additionally, the Okapi framework ( http://okapi.opentag.com/ ) may
> provide useful resources such as file filter, allowing to manage a fair
> list of file formats.
>
> See: http://www.opentag.com/okapi/wiki/index.php?title=Filters for a
> full list of supported formats

Hi Samy,

thanks a lot for compiling this list of recommendations.

I briefly looked at OmegaT and Okapi: the first one looks quite interesting
but I'm less sure what to do with the latter. So if you have a moment could
you briefly lay out the workflow in which these different tools would be
used within the context of a 1-day or multi-day translation sprint with a
handful of participants?

Thanks,
Christoph

--