[Sugar-devel] automatic backlight control

Paul Fox pgf at laptop.org
Thu Nov 24 10:09:38 EST 2011

bert wrote:
 > Today is a sunny day in cold Germany, unlike in the first half of the week. So
 > I took the 1.75 outside.
 >
 > IMHO the auto-off is fine as implemented in os12. Not distracting at all.
 > Someone suggested turning it back on quicker, I tried that (replaced
 > brightness_ramp with set_brightness), but that was much less nice.
 >
 > As I said previously I like the new mono toggle using the brightness keys with
 > ctrl.
 >
 > But I also like the switch to mono when turning the brightness down manually.
 > Much more convenient (and way more discoverable) than having to remember the
 > ctrl-modifier. So I added those two lines back just as they were before, and it
 > works fine. I would find it a foolish consistency to drop this just because
 > automatic switch-off doesn't do it.

okay, sold.

i did have a very brief chance to play with the laptop in the sun two
days ago, and after trying more varied types of content, i better
appreciate the value of mono mode.  it's sunny here today, so i hope
to get to play with it some more myself.

i've implemented what a couple of people suggested for brightness key
behavior:

  - reducing brightness manually to level 0 remains colored (unlike
    past releases, where level 0 also implied mono).

  - hitting "brightness down" one more time when at level 0 will
    switch to mono.  users that use auto-repeat to get there probably
    won't see a difference.

  - alt-brightness-down goes to level-0 in mono mode, as it always did.
    i think it's a coin-toss whether it should go to level-0 in mono or
    level-0 in color.  (thoughts?)

  - "brightness up" from level 0 (whether from the color or mono
    version of level 0) will always go to level 1, and restore color.

  - sunlight-driven auto-turnoff will go all the way to 0, but won't
    invoke mono mode.

bert, i think you approved of the idea of this scheme on irc, please let
me know if you still think so.

paul