[Sugar-devel] automatic backlight control

forster at ozonline.com.au forster at ozonline.com.au
Wed Nov 23 14:50:04 EST 2011

> forster at ozonline.com.au wrote:
>  > Thanks Paul
>
> thanks for testing!
>
>  >
>  > The logic appears to be buggy, see #11487:  XO-1.75 OS12 backlight
>  > is off when you come back inside
>
> okay, more testing is needed.  as you noted, it's quite hard to tell
> when it's on and off.  i'll see if i can come up with an indicator,
> on the display or on the LEDs, which will help during debug.

Its not too hard to write a TurtleArt program which continuously prints the brightness sensor and the screen brightness, there is a block for the brightness sensor and sample python code 'sensor.py' for the screen bightness

>  >
>  > As it stands, neither the monochrome nor colour modes are OK in
>  > full sunlight.  The colour mode causes a significant loss of
>  > resolution for reading small black text and even more resolution
>  > loss with coloured text.
>
> to clarify -- neither of these issues is caused by the auto-turnoff,
> but they might suggest that one or the other modes is a better target
> in full sun -- is that what you're saying?

The loss of resolution in full sunlight results from disabling the monochrome mode, disabled for both manual and automatic triggering in OS12

> where can i find some colored text on the laptop?

I am not sure what you are asking, links in webpages is one example, you can create coloured text in Write

>  >
>  > With the monochrome mode, the shadow of your hands as you type is
>  > enough to switch mode which is quite distracting
>
> the color/mono selection shouldn't have affect on how much light
> causes the mode switch.

no it doesn't, what are you saying?

>  >
>  > The cutin cutout settings are 50 (bright)and 80 (dark).  It does
>  > not seem worth raising the 80 figure because there is still visible
>  > colour information at 70.  The 50 figure could be lowered, direct
>  > sunlight is 5-10, so I tried 15, this still could give mode
>  > switching from your hands' shadow in direct sunlight.
>
> how can you tell the switch has occurred, if you're in full sunlight?
> i honestly can't tell when it's happened.

I am running a Turtleart program to interrogate the sensor and screen brightness

>  >
>  > What I suggest is that the backlight not switch off unless you have
>  > been in the sun for (eg) 5 minutes, but switch back on immediately
>  > in the dark.  I don't have the coding skills or I would have tried
>  > it out.
>  >
>  > For anybody who wants to try it powerd is at /usr/sbin/power
>  >
>  > the brightness settings are at line1853 monochrome is commented out
>  > at lines 1764 &1793
>  >
>  > uncommenting these lines reenables monochrome in response to the
>  > sensor but surprisingly not the control keys
>
> i don't follow -- the code in powerd currently has (or should have) no
> effect on how the brightness keys work.  they're handled by
> olpc-brightness.  so they should continue doing what they were doing
> before you modified those lines to reenable "zero brightness gives mono"
> behavior.

The brightness keys no longer give monochrome at zero brightness. You must have coded that somewhere in powerd? Line 1793 looked like it was going to be the culprit.