[Sugar-devel] [FEATURE] Global Text to Speech

Chris Leonard cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 19:02:47 EST 2011

On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 9:23 PM, Gonzalo Odiard <gonzalo at laptop.org> wrote:
> Attached is a first try of implementation, to discuss.
>
> Is using gstreamer-plugins-espeak, already included in the last images,
> and used in all the activities using text-to-speech. Do not add any new
> dependency.
>
> A device is added in the frame to configure pitch and velocity,
> and the hotkey alt-shift-s is used to say the selected text.
>
> The SpeechManager provide a simple say_text method to be used by activities
> if needed.
>
> A pending functionality is add a list of languages, to translate it and have
> a single list,
> and do not need translate this list in every activity. There are code in
> Speak activity to do this,
> I need look at this.
>
> Gonzalo

The languages available for e-speak are listed here:

http://espeak.sourceforge.net/languages.html

we need to identify key languages that are missing (or need
improvement) and try to pair up speakers of those languages with
someone with the technical capabilities to help create new language
phoneme and voice modifications to establish new languages in e-speak.

cjl