[Sugar-devel] NZ Testing - Letters 23

Tabitha Roder tabitha at tabitha.net.nz
Mon Nov 21 16:40:24 EST 2011

On 31 October 2011 13:08, Peter Hewitt <prh at mulawa.net> wrote:

> This activity requires the player to make the longest English word from 8
> random letters.
>
> Just wanted to comment on the idea of supplying a list of the "missed"
> words.  This is most undesirable - many of the words in the computer's
> dictionary will be completely unknown to the student. The list would really
> need to take into account the Grade Level of the student as well.
>
> Thanks for the feedback ... Peter
>

> I think it changes what opportunities for learning are presented to the
learner. How about instead of a list of words, a suggested word.

e.g. "Did you know you could have written ...? The meaning of this word is
.... Here is how it can be used in a sentence ... "

Perhaps this is an entirely different game.

The random letters can make the task of writing a word really hard and
sometimes even impossible, particularly if there are no rules around vowels
and consonants in the assignment of random letters.

Happy to test as well as bounce ideas around,
Tabitha