[Sugar-devel] [FEATURES] Display Device

Paul Fox pgf at laptop.org
Mon Nov 21 15:29:34 EST 2011

simon wrote:

 > I have been checking what gnome is doing (gnome-settings-daemon (the
 > functionality was in gnome-power-manager before)):
 >
 > - they use xbacklight [1] if possible to get/set the brightness [2],
 > doing this through the gnome-desktop library [3]
 >
 > - there is fallback code to deal with hardware where xbacklight is not
 > available [4] using the content of "/sys/class/backlight"

if you're planning on using "standard" facilities for backlight
control, that might be another argument for not switching mono/color
when changing brightness.  otherwise either the sugar UI will behave
differently than the brightness keys, or sugar will continue needing
an XO-specific codepath, in which case you might as well just call
olpc-brightness.  (but maybe that's what you were planning on doing
anyway, and are only exploring "standards" for non-XO platforms.)

paul