[Sugar-devel] [FEATURES] Display Device

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 10:41:58 EST 2011

On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 3:33 PM, Simon Schampijer <simon at schampijer.de> wrote:
> El 21/11/11 15:18, Paul Fox escribió:
>>
>> simon wrote:
>>  >  Hi,
>>  >
>>  >  I would like to propose the following Feature to enhance the Sugar
>>  >  learning environment:
>>  >
>>  >  "Add a frame device to control the display. The idea is to add their
>> an
>>  >  option to change the brightness and to take a screenshot. Both actions
>>  >  are only available via the keyboard as of today." [1]
>>
>> oh, good idea.  in fact, i have another job for it to do.  :-)
>> it would be great if it could switch the display from color to
>> monochrome, as well.  see my email on automatic backlight control,
>> which i've composed but haven't sent yet.  i'll do so right now.
>>
>> paul
>
> Hi Paul,
>
> I just looked at olpc-kbdshim the olpc-brightness for how we adjust the
> brightness on the XO. Looks like we simply echo the values to the files like
> '/sys/class/backlight/dcon-bl/brightness'. I wonder what the generic
> solution is for that (Sugar on other devices).
>
> From a quick test, I have the following files on my T61:
> /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/max_brightness and
> /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/actual_brightness which change
> accordingly when adjusting the brightness. But I guess there is a generic
> tool for doing that...?
>
> /me should probably have a look what GNOME is doing...

There's recently been introduced a generic backlight class so I think
its all being converted over to that. Its like the IBM one in
/sys/class/backlight but I'm not sure the full details for
manipulating it programaticly but I'm sure its documented somewhere.

Some details are:
https://lwn.net/Articles/423170/
https://wiki.kubuntu.org/Kernel/Debugging/Backlight

Peter