[Sugar-devel] automatic backlight control

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Mon Nov 21 09:52:53 EST 2011

On 21.11.2011, at 15:48, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> On 21.11.2011, at 15:29, Walter Bender wrote:
>
>> Paul,
>>
>> Unless the display design is different than it was in 2007, then there
>> is no way to decouple turning off the backlight and going into
>> monochrome. Also, turning on the backlight adds color back (although
>> the amount of color vs monochrome in the mix is a function of the
>> backlight vs ambient-light levels. So I am not sure we could implement
>> your proposal with the current hardware.
>>
>> -walter
>
> This is about switching the DCON's hardware anti-aliasing. OLPC has started to refer to that as "color vs monochrome" mode (presumably because it's hard to explain to others why you would or would not want AA).
>
> Here's how it works:
> http://www.squeakland.org/showcase/project.jsp?id=7050
>
> - Bert -

Err, and the color-averaging I always tend to forget about. The DCON selects either just a single color component for a pixel (color mode) or combines red, green, and blue into a per-pixel value (monochrome mode). In early hw versions this could be toggled separately from the anti-aliasing, while in MP hardware those two were combined IIUC.

- Bert -