[Sugar-devel] Hardware Requirements

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 09:14:37 EST 2011

On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 1:09 PM, Iain Brown Douglas
<iain at browndouglas.plus.com> wrote:
> I want to add a paragraph to the wiki on hardware requirements for SoaS.

SoaS queries should go to the SoaS mailing list.

> From http://fedoraproject.org/en/get-fedora
> For Fedora 16 I see:
>        A 400MHz or faster processor
>        At least 768 MB memory (RAM), 1 GB recommended for best performance.
>
> Is it relevant to quote this for SoaS?

Mostly, it cam actually use less than that as the requirements for a
live usb key is less but I think its reasonable for these days.

> I found SoaS would fit on a 1GB stick but I quickly wasted the free
> space. I would recommend a 2GB stick as a good working minimum for a
> newcomer, any comments?

The live image is designed for 2Gb, nasty things can happen if you use
less so it should be documented as 2Gb.

> Is the best advice to a newcomer to install the latest version of SoaS?
>        I am thinking, is there any benefit in any older version, on an older
> machine?

Note sure what you mean by this.

> My work in progress is here
> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/User:Inkyfingers/Getting_Started(0)
> My only qualification for undertaking this is that I am getting started
> myself, so if anyone has anything to add or correct I would appreciate
> it.

Peter