[Sugar-devel] [ANNOUNCE] Today deadline for proposing features for 0.96

Simon Schampijer simon at schampijer.de
Mon Nov 21 08:10:33 EST 2011

El 21/11/11 13:29, Walter Bender escribió:
> On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 5:45 AM, Simon Schampijer<simon at schampijer.de>  wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> just a quick reminder that today is the deadline for proposing Features for
>> the 0.96 development cycle [1].
>>
>> The currently proposed and accepted Features can be seen here [2].
>>
>> Regards,
>>    Simon
>>
>> [1] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/0.96/Roadmap
>> [2] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/0.96/Feature_List
>>

> Simon,
>
> Maybe I have misunderstood the process or made a mistake along the
> line, but I had many other features proposed for 0.96 than showed up
> in your list [2 above].

There is a difference between proposing a Feature (mainly creating the
page) [1] and proposing it for the release cycle [2]. I did create my
list from skimming through the mails that had the '[FEATURE]' tag in it.

> [3] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/Activity_specific_metadata_in_Journal
> [4] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/Journal_Volume_Toolbar_enhancement
> [5] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/Background_image_on_home_view
> [6] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/Multiple_home_views
>
> and dusted off from the past:
>
> [7] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/Write_to_journal_anytime
> (this is the only one that made your list)
> [8] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/Thumbs_View_in_Journal
>
> How do I get these proposals considered?
>
> regards.
>
> -walter

Wow, those are quite a few, the list will get long quickly. Of course I
will not discourage someone from working on something and as long as a
Feature follows the Policy [3] it is considered for the development
cycle, but I am a bit skeptical if we can achieve all those features in
the next cycle, for the following reasons:

* besides writing the code a Feature might have impacts on the workflow
and needs design discussions

* the code has to be reviewed

* we need to test it as well etc

* we have the gtk3 work ahead of us

So I would propose to talk a bit about what is doable in the development
team meeting tomorrow. And if we find agreement that we maybe focus on
some items. And yes, it is great to have a pool of items we can choose
from, schedule wise we are still in that phase.

Regards,
    Simon

[1] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/Policy#Propose_a_feature
[2]