[Sugar-devel] [FEATURES] Display Device

Simon Schampijer simon at schampijer.de
Mon Nov 21 07:54:20 EST 2011

El 21/11/11 13:17, Christoph Derndorfer escribió:
> On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 11:02 AM, Simon Schampijer<simon at schampijer.de>wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I would like to propose the following Feature to enhance the Sugar
>> learning environment:
>>
>> "Add a frame device to control the display. The idea is to add their an
>> option to change the brightness and to take a screenshot. Both actions are
>> only available via the keyboard as of today." [1]
>>
>> Regards,
>>    Simon
>>
>> [1] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/**Features/Display_Device<http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/Display_Device>
>

> Hey Simon,
>
> I really like the idea of adding the brightness controls to the frame,
> especially since that makes it consistent with the volume controls.
>
> I'm less convinced about the value of adding the screenshot capability to
> the frame device. Functionality-wise it is of course related to the display
> but IMHO it still doesn't quite fit in with the rest of the frame device
> features.
>
> Also I think that today the screenshot functionality is mainly used as a
> defacto replacement for the lacking print capabilities. Reading through
> Walter's latest Sugar-Digest it seems like the move to GTK3 will enable
> much better export / printing capabilities in Activities. As such I feel
> that adding the screenshot capability to the frame now is more of a short
> term fix which introduces an inconsistency whereas it should be possible to
> have a significantly better overall solution soon (e.g. for Sugar 0.98?).
>
> Cheers,
> Christoph

Hmm, I disagree here. The screenshot functionality is an important tool,
used by teachers. I don't think it is only used as an replacement for
printing. Currently it is only accessible by a shortcut, not available
in the UI. That it's why the goal is to preset it here. I could not come
up with a better place to expose such a functionality, suggestions welcome.

Regards,
    Simon