[Sugar-devel] [FEATURES] Display Device

Christoph Derndorfer christoph.derndorfer at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 07:17:19 EST 2011

On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 11:02 AM, Simon Schampijer <simon at schampijer.de>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to propose the following Feature to enhance the Sugar
> learning environment:
>
> "Add a frame device to control the display. The idea is to add their an
> option to change the brightness and to take a screenshot. Both actions are
> only available via the keyboard as of today." [1]
>
> Regards,
>   Simon
>
> [1] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/**Features/Display_Device<http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/Display_Device>

Hey Simon,

I really like the idea of adding the brightness controls to the frame,
especially since that makes it consistent with the volume controls.

I'm less convinced about the value of adding the screenshot capability to
the frame device. Functionality-wise it is of course related to the display
but IMHO it still doesn't quite fit in with the rest of the frame device
features.

Also I think that today the screenshot functionality is mainly used as a
defacto replacement for the lacking print capabilities. Reading through
Walter's latest Sugar-Digest it seems like the move to GTK3 will enable
much better export / printing capabilities in Activities. As such I feel
that adding the screenshot capability to the frame now is more of a short
term fix which introduces an inconsistency whereas it should be possible to
have a significantly better overall solution soon (e.g. for Sugar 0.98?).

Cheers,
Christoph

--
Christoph Derndorfer