[Sugar-devel] Sugar Digest 2011-11-19

Sascha Silbe sascha-ml-reply-to-2011-4 at silbe.org
Sat Nov 19 17:58:48 EST 2011

Excerpts from Walter Bender's message of 2011-11-19 20:04:56 +0100:

> [...] The other feature I added was the ability to
> make voice annotations on each page in your portfolio. These voice
> notes are played back when the portfolio is viewed. They are also
> saved went the contents are exported to HTML. Alas, PDF does not
> support audio, as far as I know. [...]

It does - check out section 13 "Multimedia Features" in the standard
(ISO 32000-1 - Adobe has a gratis copy [1] on [2]). But for embedded
audio data (rather than a referenced, external file) only µ-law
compression [3] is supported, so no useful support for high-quality
audio as no compression isn't really a sensible option for embedded
audio data. Not good enough for me (*), but maybe fun for children to
use.

No idea if any Open Source PDF writing library supports this yet,
though. I've only recently discovered how to embed the source LaTeX file
in a PDF (using the embedfile LaTeX package) so it shows up as an
attachment in the PDF viewer and can also be extracted using pdftk
unpack_files.

Sascha

[1] http://wwwimages.adobe.com/www.adobe.com/content/dam/Adobe/en/devnet/pdf/pdfs/PDF32000_2008.pdf
[2] http://www.adobe.com/devnet/pdf/pdf_reference.html
[3] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%CE%9C-law_algorithm
(*) As in: I'll get headaches from listening to those samples and will
    have a hard time understanding anything.
--
http://sascha.silbe.org/
http://www.infra-silbe.de/