[Sugar-devel] [FEATURE] Add can share/or not information to activities

Simon Schampijer simon at schampijer.de
Thu Nov 17 03:41:49 EST 2011

El 16/11/11 22:42, James Cameron escribió:
> On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 07:11:03AM -0300, Gonzalo Odiard wrote:
>> May be is a good idea use max_participants in the .info file, allowing us to
>> limit the number of participants if needed, ...
>
> I agree, since max_participants is already known, the name should be
> used in the .info file.
>
>> and set the property in the sugar.activity class.
>
> Yes, and allow the activity to change it.
>
> And then print a warning if the activity changes it from what the .info
> file said it could be.

Thanks for all the great feedback!

Looking at my proposal, yes it would make sense to have one option set
in the activity.info file that handles max_participants for the shell
(can I invite to) and toolbar (can I share this activity).

Both cases are booleans, can I or can I not. However max_participants
has a deeper meaning, how many persons can collaborate in that activity.
Can be a technical reason (activity crashes for more than 5)  or because
not more persons can collaborate on that (2player game like Go or
Chess). For the latter there is the concept of watching as well, so even
only 2 can play, joining might be reasonable for a third person wanting
to watch.

Max participants might be as well relevant for a game like Memorize, a
4x4 game with 8 pairs is not very attractive for more than 8 players (as
well we can have watchers here). This is a value that would be passed
more on run-time than on activity creation, depending on the situation.

There are some more interesting thoughts in this thread [1]. As you see,
there have been some thoughts on the topic already :) As we are early in
the cycle, I think we can think a bit more about it and flash out the
use cases.

Regards,
    Simon

[1] http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/sugar-devel/2009-August/017656.html