[Sugar-devel] [FEATURE] Transfer to many

Kevin Gordon kgordon420 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 12:51:34 EST 2011

On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 9:07 AM, Christoph Derndorfer <
christoph.derndorfer at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 2:50 PM, Gonzalo Odiard <gonzalo at laptop.org>wrote:
>

>> On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 10:23 AM, Simon Schampijer <simon at schampijer.de>wrote:
>>
>>> El 15/11/11 14:06, Gonzalo Odiard escribió:
>>>
>>>  One problem with transfer to many, is, when the users do not have a
>>>>

>>> Hmm, what is the issue they are facing. Do you mean the Ad-hoc network
>>> is not capable of sending that many files at once?
>>

>> Yes, and then the use will be more difficult to the teacher, than sharing
>> a file and enable the kids to download it.
>>

> Just out of curiosity: Do we have any data or half-decent estimates on
> what rough percentage of current Sugar users are working in ad-hoc mode vs.
> infrastructure mode?
>
> That could help inform this decision, especially in terms of whether we
> might need one or two different ways to do this (e.g. trying to send the
> files sequentially vs. in parallel while in ad-hoc mode might be an option).
>
> Cheers,
> Christoph

If anyone is interested, and I wont clutter the post by diverting too much
here from what looks to be an elegant solution in the making,  Please just
ping me off-list if you want to see the specifics; but briefly here's our
q&d solution where the only technology oniste is:  XO 1.0's, hardly
any power, and a DHCP enabled wireless access point, and some pre-populated
SD cards with bunches of books.
 :
Especially now with the new sugar ability to see items in the documents
folder, this is a pretty simple setup where the teacher is running
pure-ftpd (scripted install),  and serves up his/her SD card.   The student
users just ftp client in to get the docs they want and the download process
stores them in their documents folder.  We use this to refresh
the ebooks on the student XO's so that they can read in a disconnected
environment via sugar READ. We do this because sometimes they get deleted,
sometimes they get corrupted, and this lets them get what they need and not
have to fill up all of their available space with all the books, just the
ones they need at the moment. Once on the desired XO's, all of the other
collabortive functionality is there, of course.  It's no XS server, and it
isnt an elegant collabortive or multi-cast distribution network, but ...

Cheers

KG