[Sugar-devel] [FEATURE] Global Text to Speech

Chris Leonard cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 10:28:29 EST 2011

On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 9:15 AM, Gonzalo Odiard <gonzalo at laptop.org> wrote:
> I want propose the feature "Global Text to Speech" [1]
>
> In fact, the functionality was already designed, and part implemented, but
> is not working in Sugar.
>
> We have code in Speak, Read and Memorize activities implementing the call to
> the backend,
> the only missing part is a icon device to configure pitch and velocity.
>
> Gonzalo
>
> [1] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/GlobalTextToSpeech

I believe the list of "speaking" activities is greater than that
(based on the PO files containing the languages from e-speak and other
hints).

See also:
jigsaw-puzzle
slider-puzzle
clock

The e-speak code contains it's own set of language names, limited to
those present in the upstream e-speak collection A(fairly limited).
It might be nice if the activities chose a sensible default based on
locale, but still offered the speak control options.

Harmonizing the language and parameter selection stuff across speaking
activities would be a L10n win if it eliminated some strings across
activities by centralizing them elsewhere..  These translator comments
from the last few strings of Clock might be helpful on the e-speak
parameter stuff.

TRANS: The language pitch (range [0 - 99], default 50 for English)
Look at http://espeak.sourceforge.net/commands.html for details

TRANS: The diction speed, in average words per minute (range [80 -
390], default 170 for English).
Look at http://espeak.sourceforge.net/commands.html for details

TRANS: The pause duration between words, in units of 10 ms.
Look at http://espeak.sourceforge.net/commands.html for details

TRANS: The language and voice variant
Look at http://espeak.sourceforge.net/commands.html for details, and
http://espeak.sourceforge.net/languages.html to see if your language