[Sugar-devel] [FEATURE] Transfer to many

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 07:39:33 EST 2011

On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 6:40 AM, Simon Schampijer <simon at schampijer.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to propose the following Feature for inclusion into Sugar:
> "Transfer to many" [1].
>
> At the moment it is only possible to transfer a Journal entry to another
> learner one by one. Teachers have asked that they would like to transfer a
> file to all the class for example easily (hand out a book, assignment etc).

Not the only possible way: if a book is shared in the neighborhood
view, each child can download it by joining the Read activity. In your
proposal, I presume each child needs to accept the transfer
notification, so there has to be an action taken by each intended
recipient in any case. The difference being that book won't be opened
at the time of transfer in your scenario (not sure that is a feature).
But presumably teachers don't like this method?

> One simple idea is to add an entry to the Journal item palette that does a
> 'send-to-all friends'. The question is where to place the option in the
> palette. As the first option which might cause accidental triggering.
> Furthermore the way we handle the transfer related notifications in the
> frame should change (as described at [2]).
>
> A long standing issue that does play into that discussion is grouping of
> learners. Currently the only option to group a number of people is to friend
> them.

Is that so unreasonable? Adding all of the children in a class -- once
-- at the beginning of the term?

> Regards,
>   Simon
>
> [1] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/Transfer_to_many#UI_Design