[Sugar-devel] [SoaS] MacBook_Persistent_SoaS_v5_and_SoaS_v6_EFI_Boot_USB ( boots directly from USB )

Thomas C Gilliard satellit at bendbroadband.com
Wed Nov 2 06:13:46 EDT 2011

On 11/02/2011 12:16 AM, Caryl Bigenho wrote:
> Hi...
>

> I am following the progress of this with great interest, and as soon as I finish the work I promised to do on the Help Activity/Users Manual refresh, I will have a chance to try it.  I do have a few questions that will help me get started.
>

> 1) Which Mac OS X are you running?

Mac OSX 10.6.8
2.7 GHZ Intel Core i7
> 2) Has this been tested on a MacBook?

MacBook Pro 8.1
Intel HD Graphics 3000 GPU
> 3) Can I create the persistent usb on my MacBook using the instructions I found in item 4 on this page?

I do not think that this can be done from a mac.

  I used a fully updated f16 gnome3-shell hard disk install to write the
EFI USB
Run:
  "yum install livecd-tools" so it installs all the required
dependencies and  then use livecd-iso-to-disk

follow the instructions on :
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Community/Distributions/Fedora-SoaS#MacBook_Persistent_SoaS_v5_and_SoaS_v6_EFI_Boot_USB
> http://www.webupd8.org/2009/04/4-ways-to-create-bootable-live-usb.html

  I doubt that the above would create an EFI boot USB, But I have not
tried those methods.
  Only  EFI USB's written from the RC4 x86-64 Soas.iso will boot
directly in my Mac.

I would be willing to send a 2 GB EFI USB to you to test If you like.
Let me know where to send it.

Tom Gilliard/satellit_