[Sugar-devel] Sugar Labs bug tracker used by the OLPCA team?

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Mon May 30 19:12:14 EDT 2011

On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 04:52:51PM -0500, Rafael Ortiz wrote:
> Although, I really like this QA workflow, I'm not sure if this will
> prevent people from the community to follow the workflow, e.g an
> ''outsider'' or an activity developer that wants to close a bug or do
> follow-ups that require a change of state on the workflow. For
> starters there should be a wiki page where to document this in order
> to point people to the process.
>
> In my opinion this could be yet another wall to enter sugar
> development.

I agree.

I also don't like the workflow.  I think organisations should use their
own trackers to represent work they plan to do for themselves, and use
Sugar tracker as well for work that Sugar Labs may be involved in.

Thus a ticket in the Sugar Labs tracker would be closed when the problem
is fixed to the satisfaction of Sugar Labs.  (e.g. fix committed to git).

Thus a ticket in the downstream organisation tracker would be closed
when the problem is fixed to the satisfaction of the downstream
organisation.  (e.g. tested on hardware).

I don't think it is likely that these events will happen at the same
time, or in the same sequence, and so I don't think it is right to delay
closure.

This plan may expose the Sugar Labs tracker to a lot more event data
that doesn't really benefit the Sugar Labs community that much.

If Sugar Labs is happy with it, go for it.  I'll work within the
restrictions.  I don't have to like it though.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/