[Sugar-devel] Sugar Labs bug tracker used by the OLPCA team?

Simon Schampijer simon at schampijer.de
Mon May 30 03:59:53 EDT 2011

Hi,

to simplify OLPC-A's [1] ticket workflow we would like to use the
SugarLabs bug tracker for tickets related to Sugar and for Activities
(the hardware related issues and the issues of other components like
kernel and drivers will stay at the OLPC bug tracker [2]). Currently we
use mainly the OLPC bug tracker to keep track of failures and tasks for
our releases. We think that it makes sense to have the bug house keeping
for Sugar and Activity bugs happening at one place to not have
duplicated bug reports on different bug trackers.

We would like to do two things: add a keyword for our release to the
tickets we are interested in e.g. '11.2.0'. Furthermore, based on the
Trac ticket workflow [3] we would like to add a new field to the Sugar
Labs bug tracker: "Action Needed". This helps us to do QA and release
management on our tickets. We would simplify this a bit to the following
states of the "Action Needed" field:

(set by developers):
  reproduce       --  we need to know how to reproduce the issue
  diagnose        --  diagnose root cause
  code            --  code a fix.
  review          --  sent a patch for review

(set by module maintainers):
  package         --  package it up as an RPM, an activity, etc.
  add to build    --  package needs to be added to a development build

(set by release manager):
  test in build   --  package in the recent build for testing

(set by QA):
  qa signoff      --  has been tested by the QA
  no action       --  and closed.

So far, the policy in Sugar Labs has been that a ticket is closed when
the fix landed in git. As there is no organized QA in Sugar Labs and no
direct final product that approach works fine and can stay in place. For
the tickets we touch we would just do those extra steps. We will make
sure that the tickets get closed though to not leave garbage behind.

Technically the "Action Needed" field is a custom field that can be
added in the administration panel.

Please let me know what you think about this, if this is a workable
approach, if there are any downsides with this etc.

Regards,
    Simon

[1] OLPCA are the guys working on images for the different XO hardware,
currently the development cycle is called 11.2.0
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/11.2.0/Release_plan
[2] http://dev.laptop.org/
[3] http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Trac_ticket_workflow