[Sugar-devel] Browse cache bloat

Sebastian Silva sebastian at somosazucar.org
Thu May 19 21:20:15 EDT 2011

Hi,
dirakx and I are working on Browse and are trying to find a way to fix
http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/2659 - [dx2] Browse should have a cache
cleaning policy

It seems to us the only way to bloat the
.sugar/default/org.laptop.WebActivity/instance dir is by doing a large
download and then interrupting it (either because of network problems or
by canceling). This leaves partial downloads in this dir and can fill
the disk pretty quickly on XO hardware.

We have thought of a workaround policy as we can't find an option in
xulrunner to handle this by removing these partial files:
     - on click of "cancel" in a download - erase partial download
     - on start of new session of browse (if no other instance is running)

Is this an acceptable fix?
Input welcome as we prepare the patch,

Cheers,
Sebastian