[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] copy files to/from server

Sascha Silbe sascha-ml-reply-to-2011-2 at silbe.org
Wed May 18 02:49:44 EDT 2011

Excerpts from Martin Langhoff's message of Tue May 17 18:34:09 +0200 2011:

> Unfortuntely, there's no easy way to do it with CIFS or NFS -- it
> would be an interesting addition to Sugar (possibly to the Journal)
> but it's a big project.

NFS mounts do turn up as storage devices in the Journal (at least on
Debian Squeeze). They will be treated exactly the same as other storage
devices, i.e. USB sticks and SD cards. I would expect CIFS mounts to
behave the same way. Don't forget to tweak the mount options to avoid
processes from going zombie-like on connection loss.

If you had an XS, you could probably use the DataManager activity [1].

A properly configured HTTP server will at least allow you serve
a) any kind of content with a proper Content-Type (-> mime_type)
   directly (but without other metadata) and
b) Journal Entry Bundles [2] including full metadata.

There's currently no way to create a (single-entry) JEB directly from
within Sugar. Writing an activity that does so shouldn't be hard; you
can copy the bundle generation parts from Backup [3].

Sascha

[1] http://activities.sugarlabs.org/en-US/sugar/addon/4208
[2] http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Journal_entry_bundles
[3] http://activities.sugarlabs.org/en-US/sugar/addon/4326