[Sugar-devel] GetBook activity

Gonzalo Odiard gonzalo at laptop.org
Tue Mar 29 20:59:47 EDT 2011

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 7:55 PM, James Simmons <nicestep at gmail.com> wrote:

> Gonzalo,
>
> I finally had a chance to try out your Get Books.  While I think there
> are some good improvements over my original "Get Internet Archive
> Books", especially displaying an image for selected books, it falls
> short in a few places.  For example:

Thanks James, I really appreciate your feedback.

> 1).  There is no need to leave behind a Journal entry when using Get
> Books.  If you look at Get IA Books you'll see that the only Journal
> entries it creates are the books it downloads.  It's simple to change
> your Activity to do the same thing, and it will free up some space on
> the toolbar too.

Ok, I agree.

> 2).  When you do a search using more than one word it generally does
> not work.  For instance, search for "boys aviation" in my Activity and
> it will return "The Big Book of Aviation For Boys" by Joseph Lewis
> French.  Yours returns nothing.  Search for "sugar activities" in mine
> and you'll get "Make Your Own Sugar Activities!" by James Simmons.
> Yours returns a title that seems to have nothing to do with either
> word.  What you want to be able to do is search for words in either
> author or title and return those results containing all the words, in
> any order.  Mine does that, but yours does not.

You are not using OPDS in IA server, right?
I think the OPDS implementation is not very good.
Obviusly i can steal code from your application (again).

> 3).  Searching for "charles dickens" in yours returns lots of results
> but made the Activity and Sugar itself hang.
>

> 4).  My Activity supports downloading DejaVu, PDF, and EPUB.  Yours
> does not support DejaVu for the Internet Archive, which is unfortunate
> because for the XO it is the best available format.  PDFs use more
> memory, and EPUBs from IA are full of errors.

Ok.

> Supporting other OPDS services is great, but not if the child has to
> open Terminal. change to root, and create a file.  You really need to
> store the configuration info in a directory that is writeable by the
> Activity, and provide a dialog to do the config.

Is not the idea. The configuration is to enable to the deployments
to add/remove servers.
Really, there are not too much server today, but I am trying to improve
Pathagar to use it.
May be later we can add a screen to configure it, but I don't think is
necessary now.

> If you want to test this with other OPDS catalogs, I understand that
> calibre can publish such a catalog in addition to the website it
> creates.  I would have tried testing like that myself if I knew the
> format of the config file.
>
> Also, I didn't think the catalog feature was that useful.  If you let
> the child enter more than one search word as I described you don't
> really need it.

I think different (tm) here. Is not very useful to you or to me because we
know
what are searching. I can search Jules Verne or Dickens because I know them.
But if you are a child, can look to adventure or science fiction books and
open
a door to authors or book you don't know.