[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] Contact sheet for all sugar-artwork icons

Gary Martin garycmartin at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 22 14:07:32 EDT 2011

Hi Christian,

On 22 Mar 2011, at 15:08, Christian Marc Schmidt wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 4:22 AM, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 7:28 PM, Christian Marc Schmidt
> <christianmarc at gmail.com> wrote:
> > This is great Gary, thanks so much! Most of the icons are already very good
> > and quite consistent. And there are a few we could definitely improve.
> > I see we already have both a wrench and a cog. But the more I think about
> > it, it seems that preferences could be a form with checkboxes, or even a
> > pencil making a checkmark. Seems that the message we want to communicate is
> > "having a choice", more than the "inner workings" implied by the cog/gear.
> > What do you think?
>
> In my applications at least, there is more than just choosing
> involved. Users make their own versions of things, with parameters and
> graphics of their own making; and in the case of Turtle Art, they can
> reprogram the blocks. I am leaning towards the spanner (wrench).
>
> That makes sense. I can get behind the wrench. :) How is it being used currently (if at all)?

It's the icon Eben made for the My Settings menu (formerly known as the control panel). Note that it's currently designed larger and as clean as possible for menu item placement, rather than as a toolbar icon, much like the system-search magnifying glass icon (that looks wrong as used in Wikipedia's toolbar).

Christian: maybe you want to use your 'pencil making a checkmark' idea for My Settings instead (though I think Eben may have already been down that route when finally choosing the spanner) ;-)

Oooh, I just noticed. Shouldn't the icon for Register at least be the nice school server icon (at least until we drop Register from this menu and put it where it belongs in the Neighbourhood view)? Looks like it's using the media-record icon just now.