[Sugar-devel] Twisted Sugar Advice

Mike Rehner babarehner at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 12:45:29 EDT 2011

I'm a retired computer science teacher with a limited amount of python
experience. About a month and a half ago I decided to volunteer about 8-12
hours a week of time to Sugar Labs. Unfortunately Sugar Labs is using a
software stack that I am not very familiar with. I managed to learn git
enough to get a project up and down. Being familiar with Ubuntu I set up an
Ubuntu 10.4 LTS virtual machine running a Sugar emulator and an
Eclipse/Pydev development environment. I got the FLOSS manual on Sugar
Activities and learned that I needed to use the GTK framework. I wrote one
or 2 simple gtk programs but did not port them over to Sugar.. Also at this
time I agreed to work with someone from Columbus Girls School. Unfortunately
her mother became ill and she had to leave for California. So I decided to
learn "Python + GTK" developing a practice program.

The program was a simple server that would ask drill math questions.
Clients, either on the same machine or on a nearby machine would answer the
math questions. This was not to be fully developed with error checking and
all defs fully implemented but simply a proof of concept work to keep me on
track in improving my Python skills. Twisted looked like a good match with
GTK. So I wrote 1 or 2 simple Twisted client/server programs. Unfortunately
learning and making 2 event driven frameworks Twisted + GTK play together
nicely became very frustrating. It reminds me of the time I had to make
Ubuntu and Windows play together nicely- I did it but it took me time and
effort. So I have a following set of questions.

   1. Will Twisted play nicely with Sugar (i.e. should I keep going on with
   this model- writing a twisted (GTK?) question server with a Twisted + GTK
   answer client. My thinking on this model  is from my years of teaching is
   that students like to compete with each other and this model may add some
   collaborative learning when tweaked. Is this something worth continuing? I
   believe I can make Twisted + GTK work with difficulty  but I'm not sure that
   about Twisted in Sugar. There are two many unknowns for me.
   2. If anyone thinks Twisted + Sugar(GTK)  is worth pursuing, does anyone
   know of any good tutorials or information on this.
   3. If this is not worth pursuing what would be a good way I could devote
   about 8-12 hours to Sugar Labs Activities

cheers,

Mike

--
Mike Rehner