[Sugar-devel] Interesting USB-pluggable robots, controller boards, and sensors

Samuel Greenfeld greenfeld at laptop.org
Thu Mar 17 05:41:38 EDT 2011

It sounds like what is desired is an update of a 10+ year-old thing I
helped design called MIPPET -- "Module for Input/Output Programming
Projects Enhancing Teaching" [1].

The interface we used was the parallel port, which made things easy at
the time since USB 1.0 was in its infancy.  There was talk even then
though of possibly doing a USB update, and we had a USB 1.0 development
kit I played with a bit.

This was never mass sold to my knowledge, but I could try and research
if any progress has been made on the USB update.  If not I could attempt
it or nudge other people to try and do so, although if this turns into
someone's college project I would not expect to see a result until the
fall semester.

(Extra credit goes to anyone who can figure out what MIPPET actually
stands for and not the backronym the professor came up with.  It's not
too hard to find, so I'm not certain what it will get you.)

[1] Described a bit in the document at
http://www.rowan.edu/mars/compsci/CS1labs/Mippet.ppt with pictures.
Example coursework which probably could be ported to Python/Turtleart
(or more likely Etoys with its collision detection) at
http://www.rowan.edu/mars/compsci/cs1labs/SIGCSE03.htm .