[Sugar-devel] [Server-devel] Hidden SSID and Proxy settings

Sascha Silbe sascha-ml-reply-to-2011-2 at silbe.org
Mon Mar 7 05:49:11 EST 2011

Excerpts from Jerry Vonau's message of Mon Mar 07 09:51:30 +0100 2011:

> Yes, think that would be a good idea, with this method connections.cfg
> can be empty. Perhaps network.py can just use/create the needed file
> for /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/ or make that an option
> available in control panel.

Using system instead of user settings in Sugar has been planned for some
time now [1], but I didn't get around to working on it.

The first beta of NetworkManager 0.9 has been released [2] a few days
ago. As of that version, the distinction between system and user
settings is gone for good [3], so it makes more sense to migrate [4] to
0.9 right away instead of moving to system settings first.

As part of the 0.9 migration I'd like us to show configured connections
in addition to the currently visible access points. This should help
users working in less-than-perfect environments (disabled beacons, VPNs,
access points on different sites that need different credentials but
have the same SSID, etc.).

We should also try to move our Ad Hoc auto-connect logic into
NetworkManager. Not only would it make our code simpler and easier to
debug, but non-Sugar users would benefit from the automatic "under the
tree" networking as well. Even Mac OS X seems to have something similar
to automatic Ad Hoc networking + link-local collaboration now (called
AirDrop [5]).

Sascha

[1] https://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/1884
[2] http://mail.gnome.org/archives/networkmanager-list/2011-March/msg00020.html