[Sugar-devel] removing #sugar-newbies

Manusheel Gupta manu at laptop.org
Thu Mar 3 12:09:32 EST 2011

It would be great if we could keep the #sugar-newbies till October 2011.

We are adding 100 Sugar activity developers by the end of April, who'll be
working on the use-cases decided by the initial roll out team of educators
at Teach for India (http://www.teachforindia.org/) organization. We have
their bio-data and experience in place, and are finalizing the important
use-cases for class II. The number of Indian developers, who would be
working on Sugar activities is going to hit around 1000 by November this
year. The feedback we received has been pretty amazing, and we are currently
collecting the resources for getting this team started. Also, we are
currently piloting the POC (proof of concept) where we have 10 developers
for every educator.

We wanted to announce this with a working paper at hand to see whether our
thesis could be scaled effectively. Also, as an organization, we believe in
under promise and over deliver. However, in the light of the above memo, we
wish to share some backgrounder details, and request if the IRC channel can
be kept so that the conversations among these developers and educators can
be archived, and referred to whenever required. The conversations at #sugar
are not archived, which is a major operational issue for scaling such
engagements. If having a #sugar-newbies IRC channel is a distraction to
Sugar community, we are happy to re-work our operational plan accordingly.
Happiness within the eco-system is the key in open source productivity.

Regards,

Manu