[Sugar-devel] Journal copies file from external media to datastore before opening

James Simmons nicestep at gmail.com
Sun Jun 26 09:32:50 EDT 2011

Sridhar,

The behavior you describe is not so much a bug as a feature.  Sugar
Activities can be resumed from removable media, but cannot write to
that media.  Only the Journal Activity can update media on a thumb
drive.  The problem as I see it is that the Journal Activity makes SD
cards and thumb drives look like the Journal itself, creating a false
expectation for the user that it will work the same way.  I have
suggested that the Journal Activity be redesigned to make thumb drivs
and SD cards look like the hierarchical file systems that they are and
only show the Journal looking like it currently does.  My own Activity
Sugar Commander is an attempt to show what this would be like.

James Simmons