[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] icons for import/export document proposal

Frederick Grose fgrose at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 14:49:40 EDT 2011

On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 2:15 PM, Gary Martin <garycmartin at googlemail.com>wrote:

> Hi Sascha,
>
> On 20 Jun 2011, at 10:21, Sascha Silbe wrote:
>
> > Excerpts from Gary Martin's message of Sun Jun 19 18:20:54 +0200 2011:
> >
> >> Just caught up with the 2nd half of last weeks meeting and thought I'd
> pass along a screenshot of the Labryinth activity toolbar as it includes
> export icons for both pdf and png objects:
> >>
> >>    http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/File:Labyrinth_Toolbar_1.png
> >
> > Interesting. Would you consider that icon good enough for a first
> > release of Browse with the PDF export feature? I'll happily include any
> > updated icon later on.
>
> I would, but then it's one I generated for Labyrinth so I'm biased ;) Would
> like someone more +1s (or -1s) as well as this suggests we move forward on
> this as the import/export visual generic design. I originally went for this
> three letter extension document design as there are a number of such export
> file types that may need different icons and have no obvious visual (or as
> in the pdf case uses a commercial trade mark). I would rather have avoid
> text use in icons, for localisation issues,

Couldn't we used icons badged by a reduced version of the object's icon?
They might appear something like those made for Memorize, here,
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Design_Team/Toolbar_Catalog#Memorize

           --Fred

but exporting content to specific object formats already would seem to
> require a user has some deeper level of understanding or instruction.
>
> The other option is to have a generic single 'export to journal' icon (like
> the Keep icon), and then have each supported export format as a text menu
> item in its palette. This would allow covering any format without need for
> an icon for each, but is less obvious/discoverable (in the old toolbars
> export options were sometimes placed in the Keep palette, but not many
> discovered that for themselves – Write activity being general example).
>
> One general idea that has been rattling around my head is that on clicking
> an export icon/menu choice (or even perhaps the Keep if we keep the tool
> button but correct the implementation so it is a plain duplicate object
> feature**) should raise the naming dialogue (or it's new replacement if that
> lands in time). This would give immediate user feedback as to the event and
> allow them to see/change the Journal name and other details if needed.

** this can be in addition to Simon's Journal duplicate/copy-to-->....