[Sugar-devel] [Dextrose] Sugar Server project initiation announce

Aleksey Lim alsroot at activitycentral.org
Sat Jun 11 06:30:05 EDT 2011

On Sat, Jun 11, 2011 at 01:18:35AM -0700, Sameer Verma wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 11, 2011 at 12:06 AM, David Farning
> <dfarning at activitycentral.com> wrote:

I can't get rid of feeling that we are still talking about a bit
different things:

Thats the core difference between OLPC XS and Sugar Server ways,
OLPC XS and Sugar Server and too different in two major cases:

1. Product vs. Project

        OLPC XS (how I got it and XS's clones from my pov)
        is a product from OLPC, ie, final product when you need to download
        in ISO, for example, and follow detailed instructions how to proper
        maintain it

        Sugar Server is a community, SL, project. Within this project
        happens (by all interesting people/deployments) development of
        core modules

2. OS vs. Tools

        OLPC XS (how I got it and XS's clones from my pov) is, due to
        its design, behaves as an OS: what sugar-server does on its own
        w/ humble deps[1] w/ only by one CLI tool in non-root manner
        (except initial install), XS does by having 3 projects/packages,
        bunch of shell/python scripts, running one process in root,
        creating local users (of course from root) (it is highly not welcome
        if are talking about one service I'm going to run on server, already
        configured and supported, to just serve XOs around). In other
        words XS assumes that it entirely control the OS.

        Sugar Server is being designed as one local sugar-server that serve
        only sugar specific features (no network setup, no iptabales
        setup, no Apache, no Moodle, no new local user, not root
        processes, etc) as a decent server does - on its own, you need only
        start it (event from sources directory); the second layer, which
        is independent to the 1st one, configuring the rest of system services
        that might be useful on bare systems, ie, what XS does but this
        level is optional and it is: only about configuring external
        services not sugar specific, each configured service might be
        formed as a separate configuration project and deployed as a
        separate package. The core of this level is the mace[2] utility
        and optional sugar-server-base configuration project w/ common
        stuff.

In other words, Sugar Server is being designed as a project of useful
and well designed/supported local tools. For example AU might use it in
such way: include to its build system 3 binary packages (w/o patching) -
sugar-server, server-sugar-base, mace; configure them to use only id
service for sugar-server (it might be useful even in AU case when
students will just click "Reqister" to get info about jabber server),
configure mace to configure only jabber (though, if only jabber is
installed there is no need in special steps), somehow (it is AU
decision) process all these steps for final school servers, eg, by
having 4th binary package or composing master image to clone/flash it on
XOs.

Back to your concerns:

> 1) distro independence

hmm, but do we have distro dependent stuff on Sugar Server level?
Of course we have on downstream level, but we can think to solve it. For
example mace is designed in such way - the configuration, that mace will
apply to the final systems, are being kept in distro independent
manner[3], ie, for Apache vhost you need only to type its content (in
Apache systax) and mace will manage to place it to the particular distro
dependent place (to /etc/httpd/config.d on fedora and to
/etc/apache/enabled-services on debian). We can think about another
useful way to help downstream do its work smoothly (another idea might
be reusing Open Build Service to create final images for
fedora/debina/fedora-for-XO).

> 2) content mgmt vs server admin separation
> 3) school vs library approach (curricular aka XS vs referential aka pathagar)

Could you elaborate these issues?

> Choice is good. Fragmentation, not so much.

Once more, Sugar Server is not about fragmentation (it is not one more
school server) but about modularization and using these modules on
purpose in downstream.

[1] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/The_Server/1/Components#sugar-server
[2] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/The_Server/Mace
[3] http://git.sugarlabs.org/server/base/trees/master/etc